Saturday, January 20, 2007

It looks like a meme to me...

Here goes:

1. When did you first read a Chesterton book, story, or poem, and which was it? I don't remember when exactly but it must have been about four years ago. I read the Father Brown mysteries. The Blue Cross was the first one I read, and it remains one of my favorites.

2. What was the most recent of GKC's writings you read? I'm reading The Man Who Was Thursday right now. I've read it before, but I'm going back again to digest it better.

3. Which is your favorite book, poem - or quote? Of course it's excruciatingly difficult to choose a favorite quote but probably this one from Orthodoxy:
"A child kicks his legs rhythmically through excess, not absence, of life. Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, "Do it again"; and the grown up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony. But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, "Do it again" to the sun; and every evening, "Do it again" to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger than we."

4. Which would you recommend to a beginner? Father Brown, I suppose.

5. What is the most unusual fact or quirky detail you know about G.K.Chesterton? The most unusual fact about him, that I know of, is that he is such a character and yet no one knows about him.

I can't wait to read everyone else's!

No comments: