Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Introducing Myself

Hello!

My name is Randall, and I am currently a high school senior. I am 17 years old, and have been raised Catholic all my life. I had been exposed to works by C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien, but I had never even heard of Chesterton until I stumbled upon the American Chesterton Society site while I was hanging out at Catholic sites.

Reading about him, I knew subconsciously that this was an author I would like. So a few months later, I picked up a copy of Orthodoxy at the bookstore, and by the end, I was hooked. I was exclaiming, "This Chesterton guy is genius!" So over the past month or two I have been reading some poetry, essays, and one book (The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare). I'm still quite a newbie with Chesterton, but I'm planning to read more of his work as soon as possible. I'm rereading Orthodoxy right now, because I just read it the last time. I want to go more in depth with it.

I would say my two favorite quotes by Chesterton are:

"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." - G.K. Chesterton

and

"Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere." - G.K. Chesterton

Interests: guitar, music, art, reading, writing, video games, computers, basketball, and photography.

If there's anything else you want to know, just ask! I'm happy to chat!

God Bless,
Randall

4 comments:

love2learnmom said...

Welcome to the blog Randall! Maybe you could share a few favorite parts from Orthodoxy as you re-read it (it might be good to get some discussion going).

God Bless,

Mrs. VH

RED said...

Welcome Randall!
And an unfortunately quite belated welcome to Mapaz, too!

Ria said...

Yes indeed, Welcome!!!!!!! and selections from Orthodoxy would be great!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I haven't been on in a couple of weeks - Welcome!