Tuesday, January 16, 2007

"By the Babe Unborn"

If trees were tall and grasses short,

As in some crazy tale,

If here and there a sea were blue

Beyond the breaking pale,

If a fixed fire hung in the air

To warm me one day through,

If deep green hair grew on great hills,

I know what I should do.

In dark I lie; dreaming that there

Are great eyes cold or kind,

And twisted streets and silent doors,

And living men behind.

Let storm clouds come: better an hour,

And leave to weep and fight,

Than all the ages I have ruled

The empires of the night.

I think that if they gave me leave

Within the world to stand,

I would be good through all the day

I spent in fairyland.

They should not hear a word from me

Of selfishness or scorn,

If only I could find the door,

If only I were born.

That poem by Chesterton I found here: http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/index.html

It was a good poem to read in the midst of Pro-Life month. The unborn child is still a precious child that we must protect.

God Bless,
Randall

1 comment:

Racoon said...

Beautiful poem ! and welcome, too !