Sunday, October 08, 2006

Emmeth

Whenever I listen to the Last Battle I am reminded not only fo how much I love it but of what an interesting character Emmeth is. For those of you who don't know Emmeth is a young man who comes from Calormen (which usually isn't a good thing) and so of course he believed in the Calormen god, Tash. Now it would be a very long story to tell he got there so I will just say he met Aslan while wandering in the 'Inner Narnia'. He was quite understandably terrified (although he was not sorry to have seen the lion), for he thought that since he had served Tash his whole life rather than this lion who was " Worthy of all honor", the lion would be angry with him. But he was wrong, Aslan kissed him and said,Son thou art welcome Emmeth replied Alas, Lord, I am no son of thine but a servant of Tash Aslan said that he took to him all the services that Emmeth had done to Tash for this reason. For he and I are of such different kinds that no service which is vile can be done to me and no service which is not vile can be done to him. Emmeth said that he had been seeking Tash all his days and so did not quite understand. Aslan said Beloved, unless thy desire had been for me thou wouldst not have sought so long and so truly. For all find what they truly seek.
So Emmeth concludes, And my joy is so great that it even weakens me like a wound. And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved, me who am but as a dog.

So what are your thoughts on that????? Please comment I'd love to hear what you think about it.

1 comment:

RED said...

I've always liked the part with Emmeth. It reminds of some characters in books, like Turnbull in The Ball and the Cross, for example, who were followers of mistaken doctrines, yet good people all the same.