Monday, July 31, 2006

A Eulogy for GK.Chesterton

I read this eulogy in a book called Pastoral and Occasional Sermons by Monsignor Ronald Knox, edited by Philip Caraman, S.J.
It was a very good eulogy, showing how Chesterton went against the ways of the times to say what is right. And how even though Chesterton did not convert until much later in life, he always defended Catholicism.
The dedication poem for The Man Who Was Thursday is quoted:

But we were young; we lived to see God break their bitter charms-
God and the good Republic came riding back in arms;
We have seen the city of Mansoul even as it rocked, relieved-
Blessed are they who have not seen, but, being blind believed.

I really liked it and I hope I can find it on the internet somewhere, in which case I will post a link. If you're interested in buying the book you can here, it's half price right now.

1 comment:

Nancy C. Brown said...

I searched what I could, and I cannot find that this is anywhere on line. The Ignatius book is your best source for it.